Red-Eye Preamp - Pedalboard 9V Power Modification for Red-Eyes
I use my Red-Eye Twin with several other pedals on a pedal board. Is there any way I can run the Twin on my standard center- negative, center-ground Boss-style pedal board power supply?
For the pedal board environment, there’s an easy modification that might be useful. You can trade out the Red-Eye’s battery for a battery substitute adapter. With this modification, the Red-Eye will run on either 9-volt pedal board power (center-negative, center-ground) or XLR Phantom Power.
Battery Substitute Adapter
The adapter is a short 6-inch cable with battery snaps on one end and a Boss-style pedal board power plug on the other. Here’s a link to one place you can buy it…
- Get a 1/8-inch rat-tail file.
- Take out the Red-Eye battery.
- File a notch in the rim of the chassis near where the terminal end of the battery was.
- * IMPORTANT!* Knock out and blow out all of the filings.
- Tie a knot in the adapter cable to keep it from pulling out of the Red-Eye.
- Snap the adapter contacts to the Red-Eye’s battery snaps.
- Replace the Red-Eye’s back cover lid, making sure the adapter cable is not crushed.
- Connect the Red-Eye to your pedal board and to 9-volt pedal board power.