Solid State Logic | SSL E-Series | 611EQ V2 | 500 Series Parametric Equaliser
Put legendary console equalization in your rack with the SSL 611EQ 500 Series 4-band EQ module. In fact, you actually get two legendary EQs in the 611EQ. Early ’80s SSL E Series consoles had the “Brown Knob” EQ, and later consoles used the “Black Knob” EQ, each with distinct sonic characteristics. The 611EQ lets you switch the midrange bands between these two flavors of EQ, so you’ll be equipped to shape any material to your liking. Add a preamp module and a dynamics processor, and you’ve got a superb custom SSL channel strip.
Legendary SSL sound quality and vibe
Since the early ’80s, producers, engineers, and artists have revered SSL E Series consoles for their huge sound and distinctive character. A big part of the sound came from the E Series channel strip, and you get the same circuits in the 611EQ module.
“Brown Knob” EQ: the original SSL EQ, sweet and musical
Early SSL E Series consoles sported the "Brown Knob" EQ design (named for the color used on the LF section’s knobs). You get 15dB of cut/boost, and a special design that ensures the 3dB up/down points for each band fall at the same musical interval from the center frequency. Said another way, no matter where you cut or boost the 611EQ, the results sound natural and highly musical.
“Black Knob” EQ: a more aggressive EQ for modern styles
In the mid-’80s, SSL worked with the legendary George Martin to develop the 242 EQ circuit, or the “Black Knob” EQ to be found on later E Series consoles. It’s more aggressive than the “Brown Knob” EQ, with up to 18dB of cut or boost, and a different control circuit layout that gives you much tighter reign over low frequencies.
SSL 611EQ 500 Series EQ Module Features:
- Mono 4-band parametric equalizer module with two distinct flavors of legendary SSL EQ
- “Brown Knob” mode is the sound of early-’80s E Series consoles, with 15dB cut/boost and musical response
- “Black Knob” mode is the sound of later E Series consoles, with 18dB of cut/boost and a tighter sound
- LF and HF shelving bands can be switched to a bell-curve response for maximum versatility
- The perfect way for project studios to get the sound of a world-famous console, affordably
- Requires compatible 500 Series chassis